Monday, June 13, 2011

Motivation, To-do lists, and laziness; oh my!

Here's my dilemma... As always, I have lots to do--An ever growing list, piles sitting right in front of me, and a little bit of outside pressure to get something done. But, here I sit. Blogging.

If you keep track of my blog you know that my posts are few and far between, which I really am trying to work on. So, if I am actually writing a blog post, I must really be putting off everything else I have to do.

The truth is, today is the kind of day I wait months for. In just a few minutes my brother will head to work and I will be left in the house, ALONE! Whenever that happens, it's like the clouds part, heaven opens up, and the angels sing beautiful alleluias. I don't work well with other people around me, just watching. Which is kind of a constant issue here. So, I wait for alone time to get things done. But then, the alone time is so great that I just want to basque in it. And not do anything, just listen to the quiet.

Overcoming this lazy urge is my goal for today... here's my current list of things I should do: some are fun, and some not as much.
dishes
put things away
put clean clothes away
embroider (I have dishtowel deadlines)
read (today is the finish date for the current book I'm reading)
find seeds (June 13 is a little late to be planting flowers)

If all of these things happen, I would consider this my most productive day in months. The 4th and 5th items on the list are, of course, the most appealing. I'll get to those two items for sure, the others are sort of up in the air.

So, I have to wonder... do all of my days have to be productive? Am I hurting anyone else by only doing things I enjoy. All the rest will still be there waiting for me tomorrow. Maybe the real pressure I feel is from myself. In the depths of my brain, I know that if I work harder at getting things clean and in order, life will be easier and I'll feel better. So, why can't I just do it?

That, my friends, is because of my number one skill--procrastination! Is it possible to be medicated for that, because it is a serious debilitating condition? I'll have to look into it. Maybe when I'm done reading and embroidering.

No comments: